Medically reviewed by Mr T K Sankar - Consultant Plastic Surgeon and Chief Medical Officer for The Harley Medical Group
Causes | Large breasts problems | Treatments | Breast reduction surgery | Summary
Boobs come in all shapes and sizes, and if you have overly large breasts then you’ll know how heavy and uncomfortable they can be. But did you know that heavy breast problems can actually impact your health too?
Big boob problems can include back pain, neck pain and rashes, as well as a number of lifestyle issues such as unwanted attention and difficulty in finding clothes that fit well. Thankfully, these are not things that you have to just live with, as there are a number of solutions available – such as a breast surgery.
If you are at the very start of your research journey and are weighing up whether a breast reduction procedure could have a positive impact on your quality of life, read on to find out more about common problems with larger breasts in our latest blog.
What causes large breasts?
If you have heavy boobs, you might be interested to know what causes large breasts. Here are some of the most common reasons why you might have overly large breasts:
- Genetics: Your breast size can sometimes be determined by your genes, and this can be inherited from both your mother’s and father’s side of the family.
- Hormonal changes: Your breasts begin to grow and develop during puberty as the levels of oestrogen in your body increases. In addition, your breasts may also enlarge during certain times in your life such as pregnancy where milk production causes them to get bigger.
- Gaining weight: As your breasts are made up of fatty tissues, they can fluctuate in size when you gain weight.
What are the most common problems with large breasts?
Unfortunately, having large breasts can cause a number of problems, including:
- Pain: If your breasts are heavy and uncomfortable they can result in back pain, shoulder pain and neck pain. In addition, large breasts causing upper back pain is also a common problem too, especially if you have a small frame, which in time can even lead to curvature of the spine. In a study published by Mr Amir Sadri in the Turkish Journal of Plastic Surgery investigating neck and back pain before and after breast reduction surgery, on average, neck pain improved from 6/10 to 1/10 and back pain improved from 7/10 to 3/10. 
- Rashes: Under boob rash and rash between breasts are caused due to friction and can be extremely sore and uncomfortable. As well as rashes, you may also experience cysts in the folds of skin underneath your boobs.
- Lifestyle issues: Having large boobs may cause you to have self esteem issues, especially if you have difficulty in doing certain tasks or playing certain sports, clothes not fitting properly and also being self-conscious of any unwanted attention that you may receive.
If you suffer from large boobs health problems, you’ll be pleased to know that you don’t have to put up with this unnecessarily, as there are a range of treatment options available – both non-surgical and surgical:
- Non surgical: Certain bra styles (especially those with low support) can make the problem worse, and it is also a good idea to have your breasts measured with a professional bra-fitting service in order to find a bra that fits correctly and minimises discomfort,
- Surgical: Breast reduction surgery (also known as Reduction Mammaplasty) is performed to reduce the size of the breasts. Excess fat, skin and glandular tissue is removed, helping to reduce discomfort and improve your confidence and self esteem.
Is breast reduction surgery right for me?
At Harley Medical Group this frequently performed procedure is carried out by experienced surgeons who have reported outstanding results.
If you suffer from embarrassment as a result of your breast size, pain in your back or neck or even rashes, and would like to feel more comfortable with your breast size, then breast reduction surgery is worth considering.
View this post on Instagram
At The Harley Medical Group, we understand that for many women with large breasts, they can be a cause of poor body confidence and self-esteem – not to mention pain and discomfort. However, with the help of our team of breast specialists, heavy breasts are not something that you have to suffer with – and you’ll also receive the highest level of care and expertise too!
If you’d like to give your confidence a boost and make back and neck pain a thing of the past, as well as deep shoulder strap marks from ill-fitting bras, then we are here to help you get the results and look that you want.
If you’d like to learn more about breast reduction surgery, find your nearest clinic or book a virtual consultation with our friendly patient advisors.
 Malahias, Marco & Soylu, Erdinc & Sadri, Amir & Bantick, Giles. (2010). Does breast reduction improve back and neck pain: Fact or fiction?. Turkish Journal of Plastic Surgery. 19. 5-8.