17 June 2015
Did you know you could be adding years on to your hands, simply by choosing the wrong colour nail polish? Here’s a round-up of the top shades to choose and which ones to avoid for youthful-looking hands.
Carys Drennan, Colour Curator at Nailbox.co.uk explains the most age-defying colours:
- It’s fine to go bold as long as you stick to the classic shades such as red. This will draw attention to your hands while complementing mature skin tones.
- Those who prefer subtle shades should opt for nude polish for a demure, elegant look.
- Grey coloured polish can make skin appear grey so avoid these shades.
It’s also important to keep your nails in tip top condition:
- As we age, our nails stop growing as fast and can become ridged. You can avoid this by massaging in cuticle oil to encourage nails to keep growing and regularly using a nail buffer to keep nails ridge-free.
- Always ensure you apply a base coat before nail colour. This helps to keep nails strong and prevents them from becoming discoloured.
- Neat nails are less prone to damage and breaking – the ‘squoval’ shape is recommended.
So now you have good-looking nails, what about the rest of your hands? It’s equally important to take care of your hands as skin loses its elasticity over time, leading to wrinkles.
Experts recommend applying hand cream regularly, particularly after washing hands to keep the hydrated, soft and supple.
The skin on our hands is just as susceptible to sun damage as the rest of our body. Apply SPF 15 to hands daily to keep them looking youthful.
How do you take care of your hands and nails? Share your tips on Facebook today.
Image Credit: Sergey Nivens/ Shutterstock.com