Biggest Skin Ageing culprits and how to fix them
20 November 2014
Itâs been a stressful day and you canât stop rubbing your eyes because youâre so tired, and as your head hits the pillow, you turn to sleep on your side. Â But with round-the-clock stress, rubbing the area around the eyes and sleeping in a foetal position all contributing factors to a worn out, wrinkly complexion, you may want to rethink your routine if you want to reverse the signs of Ageing.
So which pesky culprits are responsible for our damaged skin, and what are the solutions?
1. Â Â Â Being too thin. âLoss of facial fat causes sagging and a gaunt, aged appearance,â explains US-based Dermatologist Mary P Lupo. Â Avoid yo-yo dieting at all costs, as repeated weight gain and loss can stretch your skin and make it loose, resulting in you looking older than your years.
2. Â Â Â Rubbing your eyes. âPulling, tugging and rubbing on delicate skin around the eyes can cause darkness,â says Dermatologist Jeanine Downie, MD. Your skin around the eyes is extremely fragile, so be gentle when tending to that area.
3. Â Â Â Sleeping on your side. While it may be comfortable, this position is actually damaging to your skin â as does sleeping on your stomach. âPressing your face into the pillow eight hours a night for years can break down skin tissue and cause wrinkles,â says Dr Lupo.
4. Â Â Â Sipping from a straw. This action actually causes fine lines around your mouth: âOver the long-term, pursing your lips to sip out of a straw causes extra wrinkles around the mouth,â warns Skin Care expert to the stars, RenÃ©e Rouleau.
5. Â Â Â Stressing 24/7. A stressful lifestyle can lead to your body constantly pumping out stress hormones, which can bring on the signs of early Ageing. âCortisol, the major stress hormone, breaks down collagen, which leads to sagging skin and wrinkles and causes inflammation,â says New York City-based Dermatologist, Amy Wechsler.
Are you guilty of doing any of the above? What Anti-Ageing alternatives do you recommend? Talk to us over on our Facebook page now!