Cosmetic surgery tips: Rhinoplasty recovery
01 July 2013A plastic surgery expert has been explaining why he thinks patient education and recovery are key to the long-term success of rhinoplasty. Dr Kevin Sadati, from Newport Beach, California, has published a new fact sheet about nose-job wound care. He hopes it will help patients achieve the best outcomes once their procedure is complete.The tips I provided will help patients have an idea of what the recovery process will be like and what will be required after the surgery. It helps them to mentally prepare for the challenges that lie ahead, and it allows them to see that the effort they make will be worth it, explained Dr Sadati. A rhinoplasty procedure can result in several incisions over the body for example, when cartilage needs to be harvested from other areas. The average recovery time for a nose job is seven to 10 days and Dr Sadati lists the following tips for patients as they care for their surgical wounds.
- Use an over-the-counter saline spray to help with nasal dryness after the operation. Start this 48 hours after the surgery.
- Gently apply a post-surgical ointment to the wounds inside your nose, if necessary. The ointment should be applied three times every day until the sutures dissolve.
- Apply a post-surgical ointment to the incision on the chin. Patients should gently apply this ointment up to three times every day.
- Use ointment on the tiny incision on the outside of the nose that is between the nostrils, under the tip. Not every patient will have incisions, but those that do should use the ointment three times every day until the sutures are completely dissolved.
- Try to keep the nasal splint dry during the recovery process. This will protect the healing structure of the nose and ensure the best result.