Having Acne as a teen can help to delay ageing process, study finds

Having Acne as a teen can help to delay ageing process, study finds

29 September 2016

Having Acne as a teen can help to delay ageing process, study finds

Acne is most common in teenagers and can leave them feeling withdrawn, seriously damaging their self-confidence. The good news is that if you suffered with Acne as a teen, you’re more likely to look younger for longer.

According to recent research from King’s College, London, Acne sufferers’ skin cells have in-built protection against ageing – and it’s all to do with telomeres.

Telomeres are found on the end of chromosomes. Their main job is to protect the DNA in each chromosome from damage. With age, our telomeres get shorter and eventually die.

Research has shown that adults with long telomeres have a more youthful appearance than those of the same age whose telomeres have significantly shortened.

The study focused on the white blood cells of 1200 female twins – 25 per cent of whom had suffered with teenage Acne. The results showed that the blood cells of those who’d had Acne contained more protection against ageing than the other 75 per cent of participants.

But what is it about Acne that gives sufferers longer telomeres? According to scientists, it’s all down to the excessive oil produced by the sebaceous glands.

According to Dr Veronique Bataille, co-author of the study undertaken by King’s College, there are other benefits to having long telomeres: “Longer telomeres also tend to signal stronger bones and a less frail old age, meaning dealing with spots may have more than one silver lining. It’s nice to know there’s a positive aspect to having acne.”

What are your thoughts on the study? Share your views on Twitter.

 

Image credit: Tuzemka/ Shutterstock.com