How to banish Adult Acne
14 May 2015
Thought spots were just for teenagers? Unfortunately not. Adult Acne is on the rise, and it may be down to the increase in modern stress levels causing these pesky unwanted blemishes. Even your favourite celebs can’t escape this skin condition, as Lily Allen proved earlier this week when she took to Instagram and captioned a photo of her jawline: “How is it fair that I get acne at 30? #1stworldproblems.”
There’s only one question on everyone’s lips – how do we get rid of them once and for all?
What is the cause of Acne?
Increased stress causes your glands to produce more oil, which combines with dead skin cells and clogs pores – leading to spots. Hormones also play a big part in the frequency of your breakouts, with many women more likely to see spots around the time of their period, pregnancy and menopause.
There is some good news however – you don’t have to live with your unwanted spots. Follow these tips for a clear complexion:
- Cleanse your face twice daily to remove any lurking dirt and grime.
- Exfoliate your skin to slough away those dead skin cells and prevent them from mixing with the oil on your skin.
- After exfoliating, rehydrate your skin with an oil-free moisturiser.
What to avoid
As well as solutions, there are also certain habits you should avoid if you want to rid your skin of spots once and for all:
- Switching to mineral makeup can be less aggravating to your skin – useful if you’re prone to breakouts.
- Avoid wearing too much perfume as artificial scents can increase skin sensitivity.
- Wash your makeup brushes to prevent them from harbouring bacteria.
What are your top tips for a clear complexion? Share them on our Facebook page today.
Image Credit: evgenyatamanenka/ iStock/ Thinkstock