Male chest reduction surgery on the increase
31 January 2011The demand for male chest reduction surgery rose by 28 per cent in the last year, according to the latest figures released by the British Association for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS). BAAPS, which represents approximately 40 per cent of the British cosmetic surgery industry, revealed that the number of surgical procedures to reduce the appearance of ‘man boobs’ totalled 741 in 2010, up from 581 in 2009. Figures also suggest that the number of overall procedures went up by five per cent last year, when compared with figures from the previous year. In an interview with BBC News, BAAPS-registered consultant plastic surgeon Rajiv Grover, said: “Images in the media - coverage of high profile men like Simon Cowell and Jack Nicholson - make men think about this more”. Grover went on to say that approximately 30 per cent of men who enquired about the surgery were advised to change their diet and improve their exercise regime, but that the remaining 70 per cent had areas of fat that were “beyond exercise”.