Vintage beauty secrets from Marilyn Monroe you can try at home today
19 June 2015
The search for beauty tricks that really work can seem like a never-ending quest, but could modern women have something to learn from famous faces of the past when it comes to looking good?
Hairtrade.com and FEMAIL have compiled some of the best kept secrets from beauty icons like Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren to bring the best of vintage beauty to your daily routine.
Some top tips from the old-school regime include:
- Mint leaves eradicate dark eye circles – pin-ups like Rita Hayworth had a fresh faced, bright eyed look. While a good night’s sleep is the best way to achieve this, one tip was to crush up mint leaves and place them under the eyes to get rid of bags.
- Spray your hairbrush with perfume – ladies would spritz their hairbrushes with a little perfume or an extra dash of feminine fragrance.
- Icy water for younger looking skin – a famous part of Joan Crawford’s morning routine, the actress would splash her face with cold water 25 times in the morning to keep the skin taught and toned.
- Beer as a hair treatment – rinsing the hair with beer is supposed to leave it with weight and body because once the water evaporates a residue of barley and hobs is left behind.
- Baking soda to brighten teeth – still used as an ingredient in some modern toothpaste, women in the 60s and 70s would rub baking powder into their teeth to whiten them.
Do you use any of these beauty tips from days gone by? Share your beauty secrets on our Facebook page.
Image Credit: BokehStock/ Shutterstock.com