Medically Reviewed April 2023, by Claire Clarke - Head of Surgical Services for The Harley Medical Group
Choosing a Cosmetic Surgery Provider
If you are considering Cosmetic Surgery, we recognise that it's probably one of the most important decisions you're ever likely to make, therefore, you need to be sure it's right for you.
Once you have made this decision, you also want to be assured that you will be dealing with people you trust and with whom you can feel comfortable.
As a market leader, The Harley Medical Group is committed to the highest standard of care in Cosmetic Surgery. We are dedicated to enriching and improving the quality of individual lives.
The Harley Medical Group works with the Department of Health in the UK to oversee the regulation of the entire Cosmetic Surgery sector. Our main aim is to give you all the information available to ensure you make the right choice for you.
This booklet will give you an insight into how to choose a Cosmetic Surgery Clinic that operates the best practice and the possibilities open to you. This guide has been put together with input from our Surgeons, Nurses and respected industry guidelines and is designed to provide you with the very best advice on next steps.
Download your FREE "Choosing a Cosmetic Surgery Provider Guide" from The Harley Medical Group.
When choosing your Cosmetic Surgery Provider think COSMETIC
- CONSENT– The doctor who will carry out your procedure must speak to you personally and get your consent.
- OPENNESS – Your doctor must be open and honest about their skills, experience, fees and any conflicts of interests.
- SAFETY – Your procedure must take place in a safe and suitable environment.
- MARKETING – Your doctor must market their services responsibly and be clear about the risks involved.
- EXPERIENCE – Your doctor should have experience of carrying out the procedure you’ve asked for.
- TIME – Your doctor must give you enough time to make your decision. You should never feel pressured or rushed into having a procedure.
- INFORMATION – Your doctor must give you clear information, including details about aftercare and who to contact if you’re worried.
- COSTS – Your doctor must explain the costs clearly, including details of any fees you need to pay for any potential additional procedures.
Steps to take to ensure you choose the right cosmetic surgery provider for you
STEP 1: Talk to friends & relatives and do your research
Personal recommendation is an honest and reliable way to find out about clinics, hospitals, doctors and surgeons which may be suitable for you. Consider what you want to achieve from your procedure before making your appointment for a consultation.
STEP 2: Set high standards when choosing your clinic
In the UK all clinics offering Cosmetic Surgery require registration through The Care Quality Commission for England and the HIW for Wales. Ask if your clinic is registered with the relevant commissioning body and then you can be reassured that your clinic meets high standards and passes regular inspections to ensure medical safety and quality. All staff should be registered and trained medical professionals and have only your best interests at heart.
STEP 3: Ask lots of questions
Without exception there is no such thing as a foolish question, especially if it's on your mind. You must be clear and confident in the decision you make. Some questions you might want to consider asking:
- How frequently does the surgeon perform the procedure?
- How many operations have they performed?
- How many times have they performed your procedure?
- How long with the procedure take?
- Will it require a local anaesthetic with sedation or general anaesthetic?
- Will it require an overnight stay in hospital?
- What are the risks involved?
- What type of aftercare regime will I need after my procedure?
- Will I need pain relief following the operation?
- Do you have any 'before and after' photographs that I can see?
- What happens if I am not happy with my results?
- What is the surgeon’s revision rate?
- How long do the results last?
- Will I need to have the procedure again in the future?
- How much bruising and swelling can be expected?
- Will I have stitches? How long before they are removed?
- How quickly will I see the end results?
- Will I be reviewed after the procedure - and is this included in the price?
- Will my photographs be shown to anyone else for any reason?
- How much will it cost? Are there any additional charges I can expect?
If in doubt ask, ask, ask!
THE HARLEY MEDICAL GROUP - WHY CHOOSE US?
The Harley Medical Group is a market leader, providing Cosmetic Surgery and Non Surgical excellence since it was established. We provide the highest standards of treatment and care in our hospitals and clinics and are concerned that these standards should apply to all clinics.
The majority of our professional medical staff have worked with us for many years and have an excellent understanding of the reasons why you might be considering having a Cosmetic Surgery or Non Surgical procedure.
All of our Nurses have successfully completed general Nurse Training and have also received extensive specialist training in consulting and treating both surgical and laser and skin patients. Our training is constantly reviewed and updated and accepted as being of a high standard by the health authorities that register all of our Cosmetic Surgery clinics in the UK.
You will always have the benefit of your own personal fully qualified Cosmetic Surgery Nurse, both before and after your procedure, to support you and answer any questions you may have.
Cosmetic Surgery, whether it’s a surgical procedure or laser and skin treatment it is a serious consideration with some risks attached, we strongly recommend that when considering the risks and undoubted benefits of cosmetic surgery that you choose a proper medical clinic to advise and treat you.