Male Chest Reduction
About Male Chest Reduction
Medically reviewed by The Harley Medical Group Clinical Governance Board, Chaired by Simon Smith (Medical Director & Consultant Surgeon) on 11th September 2018.
Many men - 40 to 60 per cent in fact - suffer from what are commonly known as "man boobs" or "moobs" (Gynaecomastia) and if you are one of those men, thankfully you no longer have to live with this excess fatty tissue that can be embarrassing and can knock body confidence. Male chest reduction surgery uses similar techniques to those used during liposuction or fat removal surgery, and the operation is quick and simple with a short recovery time. Male chest reduction surgery is becoming increasingly popular among men as more and more learn about the procedure and the positive impact it can have on self confidence.
"To me my moobs looked huge. If I wore a tight T-shirt, they'd poke out like women's breasts. The GP said it was down to excess skin tissue which is why exercise didn't work. Since surgery having a flat chest like everyone else has massively boosted my confidence." Nicky, 20.
BENEFITS OF MALE CHEST REDUCTION SURGERY
- Increased self-confidence.
- Increased self-esteem.
- The appearance of the chest is more flatter, firmer and better contoured.
- Ability to have wider choice of clothes.
- Feel more in proportion and less self conscious.
- Gynaecomastia is a medical term that comes from the Greek words for 'Women like breasts' which is due to the abnormal increase in glandular tissue.
FACTS ABOUT MALE CHEST REDUCTION
- 40 to 60 percent of men suffer from "Man Boobs".
- This procedure is the second fastest growing procedure for men
- The procedure normally takes 1- 2 hours to complete.
- Go swimming or to the gym with more confidence.
THE PROCEDURE FOR MALE CHEST REDUCTION SURGERY
- The Surgeon will remove excess fat by making a small incision around the lower half of the nipple area and carrying out liposuction.
- It is a day case or overnight procedure under general anaesthetic.
- The procedure normally takes 1- 2 hours to complete.
The Harley Medical Group are specialists in Cosmetic Surgery procedures, find out why you should choose them.
MALE CHEST REDUCTION PRICES
There is no set price for male chest reduction surgery as every single patient is different and treated on an entirely individual, case-by-case basis. In order to get a quote that is specific to you, find your nearest clinic and please book in for your free consultation with one of our nurses to discuss your requirements in complete confidence. The price you are given will include everything from the procedure itself, to the cost of your overnight stay and aftercare appointments - there are no hidden costs.
Find out more about our procedures and treatments, for a free no obligation consultation and to meet with a nurse please contact us on 0800 288 4100 or click through to book online.
IS IT RIGHT FOR ME?
CHOOSING TO HAVE MALE CHEST REDUCTION SURGERY
There are many reasons why people choose male chest reduction surgery:
- Stubborn areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise
- A disproportionate figure for instance with noticeable ?breasts' (Gynaeccomastia) giving rise to a lack of self confidence and embarrassment
- Not able to go topless on summer holidays because of feeling self conscious
- Rapid weight loss can cause a sagging of the skin across the chest making the breasts look more pronounced
- Difficulty in buying clothes due to disproportion
- Unwelcome comments from friends or work colleagues
WHO SHOULD HAVE MALE CHEST REDUCTION SURGERY
The final decision will be made between you and your Cosmetic Surgeon. The procedure is most suitable for those patients with excess fatty tissue on their chest that exercise cannot remove.
The Harley Medical Group has been committed to providing excellence in Cosmetic Surgery and Non Surgical Solutions in the UK since we were established. During this time, we have developed a full understanding of the many reasons why people have Cosmetic Surgery and how it can improve how they feel about themselves. For more information see our guide Choosing your Cosmetic Surgery Provider
Find out more about our procedures and treatments, for a free no obligation consultation and to meet with a nurse please contact us on 0800 022 3479 or click through to book online.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I HAVE SURGERY?
Before your male chest reduction surgery
- You may be advised to lose some weight prior to your chest reduction surgery for better results.
- You will be able to discuss your expectations.
- Your Surgeon will advise you when you are to discontinue and/or resume activities like smoking, or taking aspirin or any other medication.
The day of your male chest reduction surgery.
- The Cosmetic Surgeon will visit you in your room and draw marks around the areas to be treated.
- He will also obtain your final consent, and answer any last minute questions you may have.
- When you wake up from your anaesthetic you will have a support garment applied.
- Some blood-stained fluid will seep from the wound and the Nurses will need to change your dressings until it stops.
- You will be offered painkillers and may be given antibiotics.
Going home after male chest reduction surgery
- Your Cosmetic Surgeon will advise how long to stay off work - usually between one and two weeks.
- You will need to rest for 48 hours and avoid bending and heavy lifting.
- You can expect to experience some bruising and welling but this should subside after one to two weeks.
- You will be asked not to remove your support garment until your first post-operative visit to the clinic - general hygiene can be maintained through strip washes rather than baths and showers, ensuring that the operated area remains dry and covered.
- It is very important that you attend the follow up post surgery appointment which has been made for you, to care for your wound and see your Cosmetic Surgeon post-operatively to make sure that you are healing well.
- You will have your own personal Nurse Counsellor both before and after your procedure to support you and answer any questions you may have.
Recovery from male chest reduction surgery
- Stitches are usually dissolvable and so do not need to be removed.
- The area heals quickly with scars fading well.
- An elastic garment will need to be worn for a week.
- You can generally expect to return to work within a few days.
THINGS TO CONSIDER
It is important that your decision to have a Cosmetic Surgery procedure is considered carefully. There are many points that should be considered before deciding to have any type of Cosmetic Treatment or Surgery.
There are also some possible risks, as with all surgical operations, which your Cosmetic Surgeon will talk through and explain to you at your consultation, answering any questions you may have. This is your opportunity to discuss your intended surgery in order that the Cosmetic Surgeon can ascertain your expectations as to what can realistically be achieved.
Every Cosmetic Surgeon who performs liposuction procedures for The Harley Medical Group belongs to a relevant professional organisation, is fully accredited to practice in the UK as a specialist in Plastic Surgery, and has specific training and experience in Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Choosing the right cosmetic surgery provider - please read our guide Choosing a Cosmetic Surgery Provider
Our nurses advise you consider the following things before your surgery:
- Child care and post surgery activities including sleeping arrangements
- Have necessary post-operative garments
- How long will the effects of treatment keep me away from my usual activities?
- At what stage will I be able to judge the results of treatment?
- How long do the results last?
- When can I return to work?
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND AFTERCARE
- How long does the treatment take?
- Is the treatment painful and if so what form of anaesthesia is used?
- What type of care will I need after treatment?
- Will I need pain relief following treatment?
- Will I have swelling or bruising and can these be treated?
- Will I need to wear a supportive garment?
Of course these are just some of the commonly asked questions but please feel free to ask your nurse for lots more information
At The Harley Medical Group our aftercare is second to none. You will have your own specially trained cosmetic surgery nurse to guide you through your procedure and aftercare. In fact with The Harley Medical Group you are patient for life.
Our Cosmetic Surgeons are among the most skilled, qualified and experienced in the Cosmetic Surgery field and our fully qualified Cosmetic Surgery Nurses are specially selected for their expertise and approachability.
It is your body so naturally you will want to place it in the safe and trusting hands of The Harley Medical Group. For quality care and ethical practices coupled with experience and they very best medical skills available, there is only one name to trust... The Harley Medical Group.
REAL LIFE STORIES
Lee had Male Chest Reduction and Body Sculpting Procedures at The Harley Medical Group
"I am so much happier now, I finally feel normal" Lee has always suffered with self-confidence issues as a result of his body shape; as a child he put on weight due to his unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise and this greatly effected his self-belief. He decided to step-up and take matters into his own hands, through exercise and eating a healthy diet he successfully managed to lose excess weight quickly and achieve a healthy and proportioned physique.
BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS
MALE CHEST REDUCTION - BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS:
TIP: Drag the slider bar left and right to view Before & After Photos
*Please note that these images have been provided by our surgeons/patients who have allowed us to use them and have not been altered or photoshopped in any way.