Medically Reviewed April 2023, by Mr Khan- Consultant Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon for The Harley Medical Group. Next review due April 2024.
What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty, also known as a ‘nose job’ and nose reshaping surgery, is one of the five most common cosmetic surgery procedures in the UK.
It is a surgical procedure that can change the length or width of your nose; reshape your tip, bridge, and nostrils; alter the angle between your nose and upper lip; and straighten your nose.
Whether you were born with a nose you aren’t happy with, you’ve had a nose injury, or you suffer from breathing problems, rhinoplasty aims to help you to achieve a pleasing and natural-looking nose that is in harmony with your face and improves its function if needed.
Rhinoplasty at The Harley Medical Group is most commonly carried out for aesthetic reasons. We also regularly treat various health concerns such as correcting breathing difficulties and helping alleviate the symptoms of snoring.
Rhinoplasty before and after photos
When researching cosmetic surgery procedures, we know that our patients want to understand everything, from the surgical process through to recovery time, but most importantly the results they can expect. This is why we have compiled some before and after photos to help you with your decision. This content is just a sample of our expert's work. Our medical experts in your local clinic will be able to show you more at your free no obligation consultation.
Benefits of rhinoplasty
People choose to undergo a rhinoplasty procedure for lots of different reasons. The many benefits of this procedure span from creating a nose you have always wanted, breathing easier, and improving your emotional well-being.
Benefits of rhinoplasty include:
- Reducing the size or length of your nose
- Removing or reducing a bump or hump on the bridge of the nose
- Straightening a crooked nose
- Adjusting nostril size and shape
- Amending the asymmetry of your nose
- Reshaping the tip of the nose
- Having a positive effect on your overall facial aesthetic
- Improving or alleviating breathing difficulties
- Sleeping better by alleviating sleep apnoea symptoms
- Increasing self-confidence and eliminating self-consciousness
- Overall happiness with the way you feel about your facial looks.
If you would like to address your nasal shape, size, symmetry, and/or breathing problems for any of the above reasons then you might consider nose surgery. Booking a free consultation with our expert team will allow you to discuss the most suitable rhinoplasty options for you.
Types of rhinoplasty
There are a number of different types of rhinoplasty surgeries offered by our expert surgeons. During your consultation, you will be advised on the best option for you based on your desired results and the extent that your nose can be altered. This will depend on the size of your nose, your skin condition, and your age.
The types of rhinoplasties available at The Harley Medical Group include:
- Open rhinoplasty
A cut is made across the skin between your nostrils and the skin if lifted back away from your nose. This gives your surgeon easy access, good visibility, and increased precision to sculpt your entire nose structure and achieve the results you desire. Open rhinoplasty is a lengthier procedure than closed rhinoplasty with a slightly longer recovery time and a fine scar that gradually fades.
- Closed rhinoplasty
A less invasive method than open rhinoplasty that involves making tiny cuts inside your nostrils through which access is gained to the areas to be reshaped. It is generally used for minor corrections and reshaping. Closed rhinoplasty benefits from minimal, mostly internal, scarring and takes less time to heal compared to open rhinoplasty but it does not offer the level of precision.
Straightens the nose to correct a deviated septum and improve airflow whilst improving the overall appearance of your nose. Incisions are made in the internal lining of your nose to access the cartilage and bone and make any corrections to the shape of your septum (the structure that internally divides your nose into left and right halves).
- Rhinoplasty tip
Cartilage is removed to reduce the tip of your nose without visible scarring.
- Nostril alteration
Tiny incisions are made to alter your nostril size or shape with minimal scarring hidden in the nostril crease.
- Free initial consultation with an experienced Patient Advisor. Virtual consultations are available.
- Surgeon consultation.
- Pre-operative assessment with your Nurse.
- 24hr pre- and post-op wellness calls.
- 7 days and 6 to 8 weeks post-operative appointments.
- Comprehensive care every step of the way.
During your consultations you will discuss:
- Your reasons for undergoing nose reshaping surgery
- The changes you would like to make to your nose
- The results you would like to achieve
- Any recommended lifestyle changes to make before and after surgery, including smoking cessation and adjusting or temporarily stopping certain medications
- Whether rhinoplasty is the right option for you and which type is best.
- Any questions you may have
Your rhinoplasty process will depend on your exact surgical procedure. You can expect cuts inside your nostrils or along your columella (the skin under your nose between your nostrils).
Your surgeon may:
- make your nose smaller (nose reduction) by removing some cartilage and bone
- reshape your nose by breaking your nose bone and rearranging the cartilage
- make it larger by taking cartilage from your ear or nose for small changes or a graft from your hips or elbow if more cartilage is needed
- change the angle between your nose and top lip
- correct a bent or crooked septum (the wall between the two sides of your nose) called a deviated septum, to improve your breathing.
After your nose surgery procedure, a splint will be placed over the bridge of your nose for 7 to 10 days. It is removed at your follow-up appointment together with further advice and care to aid your recovery. Follow your aftercare advice.
Recovery varies from person to person, but we usually recommend taking at least ten days off work after nose surgery and avoiding sports of any kind for the first three months.
You will have bruising and swelling around your nose and eyes. To help reduce this you should:
- Avoid blowing your nose for at least two weeks after your nose surgery
- Avoid heavy lifting or bending down
- Avoid exertive exercise and sports
- Have warm baths rather than showers whilst bandages and the splint are in place
- Avoid expressive facial expressions as they may strain the nose area
- Have no sex for at least two weeks
- Avoid dusty and smoky places or any other things that may trigger sneezing and breathing difficulties
- Possible tape glasses to your head rather than rest on the nose
- Brush teeth gently and move upper lip as little as possible.
If any of the above is a concern for you then nose surgery might be something to consider. Booking a free consultation with our expert team will allow you to discuss the most suitable rhinoplasty options for you.
Rhinoplasty costs vary depending on requirements. Fees at The Harley Medical Group include:
- your surgeon consultation appointment
- pre-operative assessment
- your procedure
- hospital stay and aftercare.
There are no hidden costs.
At The Harley Medical Group, we have a number of payment plans available to suit individual budgets, including a 0% finance loan paid over 12 months.
Rhinoplasty frequently asked questions
People choose rhinoplasty for many reasons. These include to:
- Increase your self-esteem and confidence
- Change the size, shape or position of your nose to achieve the overall look and profile you’ve always dreamed of
- Correct breathing difficulties caused by the size, shape or position of your nose.
If you’re unhappy with the size, shape or position of your nose then nose reshaping surgery, technically known as rhinoplasty, could be the right option for you.
Nose surgery is suitable for most people, but everybody is different. The first step is always a free consultation with a member of our qualified team.
In most cases, we can. Many of our patients come to us following an injury to their nose which is causing breathing difficulties, or because the natural shape or position of their nose is causing problems.
Your dedicated Cosmetic Surgeon will talk to you in detail about your symptoms, examine your nose and give you advice on the best way forward.
Most people are suitable for a rhinoplasty procedure. However, if you have unrealistic expectations of how you’d like your nose to look, your Cosmetic Surgeon will advise you on what’s realistic before agreeing to the procedure. Your Surgeon will also discuss your lifestyle and medical history to ensure there i’s nothing that could prevent you from being suitable for surgery.
Open rhinoplasty involves your Cosmetic Surgeon making a small incision in the columella (the skin that covers the part of your nose that separates the nostrils), external incision allows the Surgeon to lift the skin and precisely alter the size and shape of the cartilage underneath.
‘Closed’ rhinoplasty is a surgery that is performed via small incisions entirely inside your nose.
As an ethical cosmetic surgery provider, The Harley Medical Group does not perform cosmetic surgery on people under 18.
Cosmetic surgery is not usually recommended for patients who are not fully grown, as the face and body can change dramatically during adolescence.
We do not set an upper age limit for nose reshaping surgery. However, as with all patients, we assess your medical history and current health to make an informed decision on whether or not to perform the procedure.
Most rhinoplasty incisions are made inside the nose and are often well-concealed. In open rhinoplasty, a ‘chevron’, ‘W’ or ‘staircase’ shaped scar will be present on the skin connecting your nostrils that will fade with time.
All patients respond differently to treatment and recovery times differ.
As a general guide, we recommend you go back to work when we remove the splint which is usually 7 to 10 days after your operation. At this stage, you will still have some bruising and swelling around your nose and eyes so you may want to take more time off. It’s good to discuss this with your surgeon beforehand.
Experienced and audited
We have over 35 years of delivering the highest quality cosmetic surgery. Our clinics are regularly audited by the independent regulator Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Focused on patient well-being
Our specialist team is passionately dedicated to enhancing people’s lives and offers a professional, ethical and safe cosmetic service and a 24-hour nurse helpline every day.
World-class plastic surgeons
All of our surgeons are qualified and GMC-registered plastic surgeons who are experts in their field. Most hold NHS posts and memberships with associations such as the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS).
Convenient and affordable
Accessible appointments at a time to suit you. Visit one of our 9 clinics across the UK or choose to consult virtually. Competitively priced surgery and payment options including 0% finance.
First class rhinoplasty
- Perform 5 types of rhinoplasties to meet your cosmetic and functional needs.
- Experienced in precision open rhinoplasty.
- Focus on you, your goals, your results, and your entire experience.
- Performed almost 300 rhinoplasty surgeries last year, across open and closed rhinoplasty and septorhinoplasty (July 2021-22).