Microdermabrasion Facial Treatment
What is Microdermabrasion?
Medically reviewed by The Harley Medical Group Clinical Governance Board, Chaired by Simon Smith (Medical Director & Consultant Surgeon) on 6th March 2020.
Medical Microdermabrasion is a non surgical method of rejuvenation by means of mechanical skin exfoliation without chemicals or laser. This quick and convenient treatment that can be used on the face, chest, back or shoulders to immediately restore smooth younger looking skin and is great for treating:
- The appearance of fine lines, scars and wrinkles
- Sun damaged and uneven skin tone
- Acne prone skin
- Superficial age spots and Hyper-pigmentation
- Excessive oiliness or dry skin
See some of our brilliant microdermabrasion results
Book your FREE consultation with a nurse counsellor for more information on Medical Microdermabrasion and to see more before and after images
MICRODERMABRASION IS EFFECTIVE FOR PAINLESS SKIN REJUVENATION
At The Harley Medical Group we offer Medical Microdermabrasion, which uses medical grade aluminium crystals that are much more inert and effective than what is used for standard microdermabrasion treatments.
Medical grade crystals are passed over the skin using a hand held device through a vacuum directly on to the outer layer of the skin's surface. These crystals, delivered at high velocity directly onto the skin's surface are immediately vacuumed away, taking the top-most layer of dead skin cells and effectively stimulating the production of collagen.
The vacuum capacity used in Medical Microdermabrasion is significantly stronger than anything used during standard microdermabrasion, therefore providing deeper penetration and guaranteeing better results.
We have performed thousands of Microdermabrasion procedures across our 19 clinics in major cities across the UK including Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Cardiff, Birmingham, Leeds and our flagship clinic on Harley Street in London.
- A single Medical Microdermabrasion treatment can remove as many dead skin cells from the outer layer of skin which a three glycolic treatments would require
- Instant, visible results as the treatment does not require any recovery time
- The treatment encourages better cellular renewal which improves elasticity, overall texture and reduces signs of ageing.
- The vacuum and medical grade crystal controls are flexible, so patients can tailor their treatment for their individual skin type needs
- Medical Microdermabrasion is suitable for all skin types
- Following Medical Microdermabrasion the skin is in a better condition to absorb anti-ageing and acne creams
- Medical Microdermabrasion can also be used in combination with Laser Rejuvenation treatment
Medical Microdermabrasion produces excellent results when preformed alone or with other treatments such as laser rejuvenation and skin peels. Your practitioner will be able to advise you on combined package prices that will cater to your skin needs.
|Course of 6 treatments||£399|
We would be delighted to book you in for your free Medical Microdermabrasion consultation with a Nurse Counsellor
What to expect directly after your Mmicrodermabrasion treatment
- You may experience some redness and your skin may feel warm/tighter than usual. This will start to improve over the following 2-3 hours. Usually the redness normally subsides within 24 hours.
- Some patients, dependent on skin type may experience slight shedding but this is a natural side effect and nothing to be worried about.
- Make-up can be applied directly after treatment but we advise clients to wait at least 12 hours to enable the products to work uninhibited.
Advice following microdermabrasion
- Avoid saunas, exercise, and hot baths/showers until the redness has gone.
- Your skin may become dry 3-5 days following the treatment which normally subsides in a few days.
- Always make sure that your hands are thoroughly clean when touching your face post procedure. Use tepid water and a non-irritant cleanser to cleanse the face following the treatment, until the redness has gone.
- It is recommended that makeup is not applied for 24 hours after the procedure where possible.
- Avoid intensive sunlight exposure and artificial UV exposure for a period of at least 2-3 weeks after the procedure.
- Treatment intervals are recommended every 10-14 days with a course of 5 treatments, and maintenance 3 monthly, or when required.
You practitioner will advise you of skincare products to use for optimum results.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Medical Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a popular, non surgical treatment to achieve a younger and healthier complexion.
The treatment uses microcrystals to exfoliate the skin and the mild suction during the process removes dry and dead skin cells. Microdermabrasion is an effective way to enhance the natural glow of your skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Medical Microdermabrasion - Is it right for me?
Medical Microdermabrasion is an ideal treatment for anyone who wants to reduce the appearance of fine lines, scars and wrinkles, sun damaged and uneven skin tone, acne prone skin, blackheads, whiteheads, superficial age spots and hyperpigmentation and excessive oiliness or dry skin. Prior to your treatment you will have a free consultation where all your questions are answered by a nurse counsellor and you are assessed for your suitability to proceed. Please note, Medical Microdermbrasion is not a suitable treatment for patients who have visible broken blood vessels.
How is a Medical Microdermabrasion treatment performed?
The skin is cleansed and the prep solution is applied prior to treatment. A highly controlled flow of medical grade crystals is then passed over the skin using a hand held device. These crystals, delivered at high velocity directly onto the skin's surface are immediately vacuumed away, taking the top-most layer of dead skin cells with it. This mechanical exfoliation process improves both the tone and texture of the skin and also reveals the new, living skin cells that are soft and smooth. At the same time the underlying epidermis is also stimulated by the treatment, promoting new collagen, thickening the dermis and improving the resistance to the effects of ageing. After the procedure, the treatment will finish with the application of anti-oxidant moisturiser and SPF 25 to hydrate and provide sun protection for your skin.
Why should I opt for Medical Microdermabrasion over a standard microdermabrasion treatment?
The vacuum capacity used in Medical Mircrodermabrasion is significantly stronger than what is used during a standard microdermabrasion treatment, therefore providing much deeper penetration on the skin's surface and guaranteeing better overall results.
Will I experience any pain during my treatment?
Medical Microdermabrasion is a non invasive, painless procedure, although you may experience slight discomfort for a short time as the aluminium crystals are delivered at high velocity directly onto the skin's surface. However, the controls of the hand held device and vacuum capacity are flexible, so you can opt for a less intense treatment.
How long does a Medical Microdermabrasion treatment take?
The average time for a treatment is 30minutes or 45minutes if performed with an Agera Skin Peel.
How often do I need to have Medical Microdermabrasion treatments?
We recommend that you book the course of six Medical Microdermabrasion treatments, to have every two weeks and then maintain top-up treatments every four-six weeks. Due to the incredible results, patients often want to continue having treatments, so a maintenance course will be discussed with your nurse counsellor, along with products you can use at home to enhance your results. When you have completed your initial course, you will have another Computerised Photo Imaging Skin Analysis test to assess the subsequent results.
What do I need to consider after I've had my treatment?
After having your Medical Microdermabrasion treatment you may experience slight redness in the first 48 hours. Some patients, dependent on skin type may experience slight shedding but this is a natural side effect and nothing to be worried about. We recommend patients to avoid heat treatments, such as saunas, sun beds, hot baths and vigorous exercise 24 hours after having treatment.